BCSA’s CRAFT Certificate is an industry approved alternative apprenticeship training scheme developed by the Association. BCSA is also a Lantra approved Corporate Training Provider with the intention to help BCSA member companies that wish to bring new people into the industry, and delivers a training package that is relevant to the steelwork fabrication processes used in the industry.
For details about CRAFT please contact Pete Walker, BCSA’s Director of Health, Safety & Training.
CRAFT is modular based training scheme is for trainee’s in the constructional steelwork industry. On successful completion of this training and validation a BCSA and Lantra CRAFT Certificate will be awarded. This will demonstrate their competence to work within the constructional steelwork industry.
The prerequisite for enrolling a trainee on the course is that the employer will:
- Employ the trainee for the duration of the training
- Ensure both parties sign the Deed of Employment for Training
- Identify the appropriate person to register as the BCSA/Lantra CRAFT Certificate Validator
- Identify the appropriate person to coach the trainee in the workplace
- Induct the trainee into the health and safety policies of the company at the commencement of employment
The training will be delivered by the employer nominated fabrication or welding coach(es) using the training materials and workplace practical tests. The registered BCSA/Lantra CRAFT Validator will ensure the evidence required to meet the training modules is witnessed and confirmed when the required standard of workmanship has been achieved repeatedly.
Key Skills to be Attained
- Able to work safely and minimise risk in steelwork activities
- Identify hazards and address any appropriate solutions
- Fabricate structural steelwork to company specific method statements
Further details can be found in the Training Guide
CRAFT Certificate Apprenticeship Guide Oct 2016
The routes to enrol an apprentice on CRAFT and the costs for Members and non members:
CRAFT Registration with Lantra 2017
You can find more information on each CRAFT course in the pages dedicated to each occupational role. The course summary, validator registration form and trainee registration form is also available.